Monday, May 6, 2013

Its Beginning to look a lot like ??????



Ahhhhhhhhhh, the lilacs of Spring..............such a beautiful sight.  Aren't they just lovely?  I don't think we have had a prettier crop at this location ever.  They come from an old bush that we transplanted from my husband's parents home.  They had gotten their start from the farm of my MIL's parents, so these lilacs have a long history.  My husband says he can still remember driving down the long lane to his grandparents house and smelling the lilac bushes lining the drive.  What a precious memory.  This is the third year or so since we moved the bush and thus far it had not bloomed, so we were a bit discouraged.  


So, we have lilacs and gorgeous ones!!  They smell heavenly.  The old pitcher was also from my MIL's home, so it seemed a fitting vessel for the bouquet.

There is only one little problem.  I cut these, all of them, before the last snow storm which was a week ago!!   My husband had mowed the grass the night before the expected snow and we agreed that maybe it would be better to pick the bush clean and at least enjoy them in the house then to loose them all in the frigid temps.


SOOOOOOOOOOOOO  frustrating is this SPRING!!  When will it ever arrive???

I also bought flowers the day before to plant in the pots on the porch and deck.  They are patiently waiting in the garage to be put into the soil.  Maybe today it MIGHT be safe to plant them......I am leery, but I think they may not hold that much longer, so I may start today timidly.  They said the sun would be shining today, but so far I don't see it.  Now this is a big deal for me as I am one of those people who runs on..................
SOLAR BATTERIES!!!!!!

I'm starting to feel desperate people!

So, if you can't have Spring and warm sunny weather, what do you do?............

You start preparing for......................... CHRISTMAS!!!...........yes, that's right, it will be here before we know it!!
,

You put on your Nat King Cole album  and sing along, slightly changing the words in honor of Cinco de Mayo and belt out " Nachos roasting on an Open Fire".............

At the very least, I thought I would do something constructive since I can't plant flowers or paint anything in the garage.........



I bleached out some bottle brush trees  to decorate for the Christmas season.  I hope to offer some in cloche -type containers for sale in the fall.  Most of them turned out pretty well, a few stubbornly stayed the weird green color, so I guess they will get dyed green again, although I think I can come up with a much prettier shade of green.

So, that is what I have been up to.  I hope wherever you are, the sun is shining and it is Spring.  I know Spring eventually will get here, but it sure seems to be stubborn this year.  If it means, however, that we might have a more bearable summer with cooler temps and more rain, than it will be worth it in every way!!  We are getting some very much needed moisture and that is a VERY GOOD THING, so I am thankful!!  However, my theory is that if the sun is not shining..............
IT NEEDS TO BE RAINING OR SNOWING!!!


Singing His Praises in the snow and the rain and evermore,


Linda

6 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, So nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. I wrote that guestroom phrase a few years ago and I do love it as you enter the room. You are more then welcome to use it in yours. Glad you liked it.

    Love your gorgeous flowers in that beautiful vase. I also bleach the bottle brush trees and so forth. It really works nicely.
    I have so enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog and now a new follower too.
    Have a blessed Wednesday.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - Love your flowers. Who would have ever thought we'd be having to worry about snow and frost in May? Crazy.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your lilacs and wow, I can't believe you are thinking Christmas. Yes, it will be here before we know it. I loved your story about the Mixer at GW. I would have loved to have found that one. Too bad it wasn't you. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda! Beautiful flowers! You're getting a head start on Christmas!I've never bleached any bottle brush trees before! I did start last August making little glitter houses! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda, Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. I hope you also enjoyed a nice weekend. So nice to see your pretty flowers once again. Wishing you a blessed week.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bottle brushes and lilacs.. fun combination!! tee,hee!! Our lilacs are beautiful this year, too! And like you, we finally have the white lilac bush in bloom! A first! Probably came out to wish us farewell before the new family moves in. How sweet! Pun intended!

    ReplyDelete