Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine traditions



You have my heart!!





Well, I almost did not get this accomplished this year, but did manage to get them made.  For some reason Valentine's Day seems to sneak up on me every year.

Many many years ago, when our children were young, I was thinking one day about what could I make to give to each of our close neighbors and friends to let them know we were thinking of them on Valentine's Day and wanted them to know they were loved and special to us.  I decided I would make some sugar cookies for each person and put their names on it.  Now it seems to me that Valentine's Day and chocolate are synonymous, so I wanted to come up with a way to combine the two items.  I had some chocolate chips, so I decided to melt them in the microwave and try spreading the wonderfully goodness on the cookie instead of a layer of frosting.  Then I made regular buttercream frosting to decorate the edges with a lacy scroll and write the names of each special person on the cookie.  

They were an instant hit and I pretty much have made them ever since on VDay.... only once a year.  Our neighbors grew to expect them and it has really been a fun tradition in our family.  


The recipe for the cookies is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook and they are called Aunt Mary's Cookies or Deluxe Sugar Cookies, but you could use any favorite sugar cookie recipe.  This particular one makes a very delicate cookie and calls for powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar.  It is a favorite for us.



You bake the cookies and cool them on a rack.  Then,  I put about 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips in a bowl and melted them in the microwave for a little over a minute.  Stir until the chips are dissolved.  You have to watch it closely and do not want to heat them for too long or the chocolate will become grainy.

Then, spread the chocolate on each cooled cookie.  I usually let them set over night to completely cool, but you can put them in the fridge or freezer to set up faster.

Then mix up your favorite butter cream frosting and put in a pastry bag with a star or shell tip.  Just go around each cookie kind of moving in and off the edge of the cookie.  I usually start at the center and move down the side and then go back to the center and do the other side.  Usually, I hold each cookie in my hand, but a turntable might make it easier.



I'm not really sure what happened this time, but my chocolate looks a little speckled.  Oh well, it should taste just the same. ha.

I usually do all the scroll edges and then go back in and write the names of my family and friends last.  It helps to calculate just how many of these you want to send out before you make your cookies by making a list of recipients.  This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies.  My cookie cutter is about 3 inches across.  So, sometimes I have to double up on the recipe.  You can make them ahead and have them in the freezer ahead of time and then all you have to do is pull them out and decorate them.  (Usually, I am NOT that organized, but it has happened that way a few times.....)





I like to put them on a paper plate with a red napkin underneath, usually left over from Christmas.  Then you can put the plate in a ziplock gallon-sized bag for delivery.  For our children who live out of town, I store them in the freezer until we see them and they do just fine.

You could leave one in the mailbox for your postman, or take some to your favorite hairdresser or doctor.  I have made them for our church staff also and put them in the break room.  And I always try to take them to our close neighbors and any elderly widows we know.

It is just a fun way to say " I appreciate and love you" in a personal way.

And,........... THEY ARE YUMMY!!! The chocolate with the frosting and the cookie, oh MY, a perfect combination with a cup of coffee!!!

Hope you enjoyed hearing about my little cookie valentines.

So, will YOU



???????

Have  a wonderful Valentine's Day my friends!!  All diets are off until tomorrow!!! ( or until you finish that box of chocolates your handsome husband gave you!!

I got red roses too......love that man......we will most likely go out for dinner and a movie tomorrow as we have some sweet granddaughters to support at a basketball game tonite!!



Singing His Praises,

Linda

4 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic! I wonder if I wrote names on cookies I made, that would prevent me from eating so many? nahhhhhh... Hmmmmm maybe I should write in frosting the calories of each one on the frosting LOL
    big hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, I have to admit, I have eaten other people's cookies that I did not get delivered right away. This year, I made cookies for my chiropractor and his assistant, thinking I would be seeing them the next day. Alas, that did not happen, so they were devoured by hubbie and I!! The best of intentions, though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    Note to self: make those cookies for the kids next valentines day!
    Your kitchen is amazing! I don't know if you saw in my post that we are doing our own hood for over the stove, well yours is beautiful. I collect transferware too. My brown is displayed in the dining room but the blue & white is my fave.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely and thoughtful! I wish I was one of your neighbors!

    ReplyDelete